Before posting make sure you are aquainted with our forum rules.
*The following is a repost of my points shared in the "General" topic as well, incase CF3 players only happen to be browsing the CF3 section of the forums.*
Its been pretty much over 2 years since ive played this game, just had a few games today however. Id absolutely love for this game to be made great again. Lets be real, the game has been dying out. But lets also realize; this game has so much potential its unreal. Theres so much that can be done with this game, but theres also ALOT that needs fixing.
- People love Curvefever 2 for its simplicity
Thats just how it is. Despite CF3 being full of bugs its not a great game, it looks pretentious and it looks too "forced" trying to be a game that it cannot be and a game that isnt good. Curvefever 2 looks pretty simple, and i think it can be made even greater with alot of things. Like the lobby hasnt been changed since i played the game years back and the lobby isnt really great or doesnt necessarily make alot of sense. Give it a more simple style, be able to sort games, just have the lobby make more sense and more simple would be great, also for new players so they know whats going on. Idk if any of y’all played Runescape, but look what Jagex did to Runescape by slamming tons of updates into the game and changing the fundamentals of the game, that made everyone quit, then they re-launched an Oldschool version with much more simplistic graphics and it’s a huge success surpassing the “main” game by far. The game would be even greater if they didn’t have two versions of the game but just focused on one. The same goes for Curvefever 2, if all bugs were fixed, if the game kept its simplistic style but looked cleaner and with some marketing initiatives this game could be huge, it has all the right elements. The fundamentals of the game is great, the idea behind hot&cold colours being the teams, the way that scaling of points scale is nice and seems balanced like with 8 players in FFA you play till someone has 70 points and you have to win by 2 pts etc its all nice. The clan system also seems nice, could use a bit of tweaking tho but generally I think its cool.
- Attention to detail
The game doesnt have to be something fancy, because the game is good itself, the whole concept of CF2 is so good that you just need to up the "surroundings" and those aspects in order to make it a great game that is enjoyable to play. Everyone loved CF2 and it was popular despite the game being full of bugs and not very well marketed. Imagine where the game could have been nowadays. Take care of the small things that makes the game more enjoyable and simple and easy to get to then the whole Curvefever 2 experience will be much greater.
Here are some suggestions that i think can make the game greater:
- Remove tribunal, it doesnt (didnt) work and people just voted ban xx player blindly because they knew that way they would get coins. It doesnt make sense. And people talking trash and flaming should just have a mute that would scale, like 1 day, 1 week, 1 month etc for flaming that way they wouldnt be able to talk and it wouldnt be a problem. The only thing we need to ban people for is cheating, rank boosting, teaming in FFA and things like that, flaming etc. can be handled with a mute, if its really extreme a temporary ban may be the way to go initially.
- Fix the layout. Some things looks graphically really bad. Like i have 1467 friends or so and i cant see the last digit of my friendlist, whenever i get a friend request i get a lag spike and things like that are annoying. Im sure you're aware of what could need a layout enhancement, it hasnt been improved since the start. Just make the overall design of the lobby greater and perhaps also in-game like when u can see people spectating maybe instead of having people in the bottom maybe have the names smaller scaled down on the side so its easier to see. Its things like that that would be neat.
- The CF2 tournaments worked pretty well id say, good updating and pretty easy to see where ure going, make sure speed games is also represented and make sure u advertise for the tournaments within the game so the casual player will look into it. Also stream it on twitch for some publicity.
- Balance rewards, coins and everything a bit. Currently u can buy 12.000 coins for 10€. Thats absolutely ridiculous. U get 1 coin every minute u play in game, so 12.000 coins is equivalent to 200 hours, and 10€ is less than the minimum wage for 1 hour. Thats HORRIBLY unbalanced and it shouldnt be "pay-to-win" like that, i dont care that much about it since its just cosmetics, but if you REWARD players for playing the game and for playing the game alot rather than just handing everything out for 10 euros, then it would also encourage and make more people keen on playing. The idea behind colours, icons and coins is great tho and it has worked out pretty fine, but maybe look into scratching the current coin system completely and add a new better one that is balanced. Look into maybe giving coins out for how many points u get out of the total points in a particular game, hand out coins based on whether u win or lose, or let top 4 in 8-man FFA get 1.5x as much as bottom 4 or something like that. Theres so much that can be done and it just needs a sort of balance. It may be fine to have it so u automatically get 1 coin for every minute the game lasts but then u also get coins for other things like winning, place u finish or make it scale in some kind of way, and then just adjust rewards accordingly to this. It would be great if u just scratched the current coin system completely upon introduction of a new, but hopefully with a relaunch u don’t start all over with the number of games etc one person has, ones rank etc, u can keep that if you ask me just some certain things that needs to be scratched / re-thought out. Also the whole idea where you have to pay 20 games to play in premium games but ure only rewarded roughly 8-10 coins for playing in these games is sort of weird. Maybe make premium games free (but you have to pay if you want to make the premium game but not to participate) or just like 5 coins or something, this current system is a bit weird.
- Dont allow guests. I dont think this would be a bad idea if all had to sign up to play, it meant that people would get appropiately rewarded with ranks etc and it would help with cheaters and people just destroying games (look at how many guests that leave games, it makes it unenjoyable since guests are typically in "Noob" games so these "noobs" will get sick and tired and fed up by people leaving the game, they’ll have a poor first experience) Maybe have it so for the first 10-20 games a player will be assigned to a random game (perhaps with other new players if possible or low-ranked players) so this way new accounts are not used for boosting right off the bat (even though they still can if they just lose all their first 10-20 games intentionally but the point still stands)
- Just Team Rank and FFA rank and potentially 1v1 rank if u still want that concept. But don’t split it into regions like Asians, Europeans and Americans, I don’t think that’s a good strategy and its too hard to tell the difference between the regions with that sort of system. Just a simple world ranking is nicer and much easier to conclude something from.
- Have a clear set of rules! And make them visible upon account creation and visible on the site as to what the rules of the game are, and make sure u define it. With many things in this game it’s a grey area, but maybe define what is okay and what isn’t, whats okay in tourneys what isn’t so people are not in doubt and make sure u punish cheating accordingly so u don’t incentivize people getting away with it. Make it clear is it okay to team in FFA? Is it okay to target the leader in FFA (if this is done solo id say so, we just need definition) is it okay to kill ur own teammates purposedly in team games to lose the game (of course not, so make sure things like that is punished as well so people don’t lose for a team to boost the opposing teams and stuff like that)
- Dedicated support team & moderators! In order to have people to enforce this set of rules its obviously important with a support and moderation team that can handle all the inquiries and all the reports and stuff. Make sure its EASY to get in touch with moderators, make sure the response time is low and make sure they take care of things accordingly and make sure that they handle the cases as theyre supposed to. This group should handle reports but also people appealing a case if they think they’ve been punished unjustifiably they can give an explanation and the mod team can review the case a second time or adjust the punishment given. Its just important that theres a group of people dedicated to this that take care of cheaters and flamers so that the community don’t lose faith in the community they themselves are apart of and so they don’t lose faith in the moderation staff if the staff does not take action against said cheaters. It makes the game more enjoyable for all parties.
- If you insist on having something that is “CF3 esque” it should just be some custom maps in the game that doesn’t count towards ranking and towards the official game, at least in my opinion. It should just be for fun and spaz, but I don’t think its great for the game overall if it takes too much attention, focus on the important aspects of making this game great again in the first place. Its like Dota 2 also have custom games that differs from the “main” game but it shouldn’t really be taking away from the main game - because that is the most important thing.
- The ability to select certain game modes without having to do it manually. It’s a small thing that makes a great difference, these selected game modes could also be shown in the lobby so people know what they are going into. For instance “Thin”, “Thin&Corner”, Red FFA Speed (Red Speed is the only powerup here), Green Team Speed (Green Speed + Circles + Eraser + Fullscreen), Special powerups, Custom powerups (if it says custom powerups in the lobby it can mean that its whatever powerups the host decided to toss in, but then you at least know as a player entering this room, that you are going into potentially some weird powerups).
Marketing. The more people that play/try this game the more people will be likely to play it, that’s just how it works. Many people do not know about CF2 but then when they try it theyre hooked right off the bat because of how awesome it is (obviously not now with the current state the game is in, but the point still stands). Make sure ure visible on twitter, facebook and bring back some life to the curvefever subreddit as well (its gonna be a huge mess with all of this if u have several curvefever games then people cant tell if were talking about CF2 CF3 maybe CF1 or whatever the deal is, its much “easier” if we are all talking about the same game when we’re operating on the social media). Get some people to stream it on twitch as well and bring some activity there, maybe show the current people streaming the game somewhere on the site to give them publicity in return and to get people to watch it on twitch and so the game climb up the twitch rankings. Some exposure of the game is essential and could spark some life into it. I’d love to take part in this myself in all the ways I can help because id really love to be able to bring back CurveFever into a state that it truly deserves to be in, so if I can help by being a moderator, as part of the support group then id love to, id also like to stream the game on twitch if its relaunched and when its in a shape and form that’s worth showing the rest of the world.
These are just some rough ideas I have, theres obviously much more that need fixing and improvements, but the FUNDAMENTALS of this game are absolutely great, it just needs an overhaul and some tweaks and then I truly believe that Curvefever 2 (or Curvefever remastered) can be made even greater than it ever was.
-- NoSlayer :)