You are here

PROs and CONs - résumé on Curve Fever 3

Before posting make sure you are aquainted with our forum rules.

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
pastakurve's picture
Clan: MIMA
PROs and CONs - résumé on Curve Fever 3

As an experienced player and a big Curve Fever fan, I would like to present my first impressions about the new Curve Fever 3:

At first, to the developers, I have to say that you made a great job and I'm sure you've invested a lot of hours to create a new CF experience! But this was absolutely necessary, as you didn't fix a lot of bugs in CF 2 and there were too few innovations in the game the last month and years.

PROS:

- the idea of a new and fresh design is good

- you added a new thing to motivate players to play for a longer time: the arena mode and the coin rewards, which you can use much better for snakes with better skills - great effect on the game.

- you said, that you will be constantely updating CF 3 and add new and old features like rank, team etc. - I hope you'll do that!

But there are also negative things, which are making me concerned about the future of CF 3

CONS:

- the playing field is too small/the curves are to fat -> no space for camping game, which was always a part of CF, too. It's nice, you tried to reduce camping a bit, but now it's impossible.

- the games are too short (28 points with 8 players!? -seriously) , so luck is very dominant and there is no chance to correct unlucky situations and stupid fails and the tension in the game can't grow

--> It's important that you don't lose the CF 2 players with CF 3. Many players are thinking CF 3 is completely bullshit - that makes me sad. Especially the competitive and experienced core players shouldn't be let down, as they spent a lot of money (with buying premium in CF 2) in your project! 

I opened this thread, so that others players can tell about first CF3 (beta) experiences, too.

Incred's picture
Champion
ffa eu top 15%
team eu top 21%

Nice review! Curve Fever 3 will have frequent updates for sure which is very exciting. As for saying that camping is impossible, I don't think that's necessarily true. It's still possible to camp, but ultimately it takes much more skill. A tip I learned is that because the borders are open, you can make camps with a border in the middle which is quite interesting. Perhaps CF3 just requires a different strategy. Freestylers, who now have access to many more ways due to open borders, will have more advantage. Also, slower snakes will be able to sneak away from faster snakes. I agree that the games are a bit too short and many would prefer them to be longer. I think it's purposely set to be short so that there is no waiting time in the Arena queue.

SuperSuka's picture

The longer round in curve fever 2 more intresting it is.

Champion

I can't speak for others, but at least I won't be a part of Curve Fever 3. I will never play this game, if it doesn't change a great deal and it doesn't really matter how often some fanboys tell everyone that it's just a beta version etc. 

My plain message is: If things don't change, it won't succeed. You better listen to your customers, because they're always right. You still have the opportunity to fix this in time with some good updates.

Laura19's picture
Clan: ois

Nothing chnaged for me since the first test. It was imposible to move the line with precision or any delay. I guess it is due to the low FPS. I don't think it is worth to get a gaming PC only for cf3, since is the only game I play lol.

I general the game looks nice but only can tell by the the appearance and layout I hope many can play properly in the future...

I would like to know what is gonna happen to CF2. I hear many people say that they will stay in CF2 'cause it is better for them, but in decemeber of this year flash player is gonna be disable, means there is not browser to play the game. so CF2 is gonna be closed? are you going to release an official standalone version of it, so people can buy/report and all those features that you cannot do with the projector? or people will play only with the projector?

I think people should know from now if CF2 is gonna be closed in the near future or not.

Clan: SKT

I am gonna keep playing cf 2  because cf 3 is unplayable at all. Are you serious we can buy a  helicopter and just kill all cos we are fastest one ? srsly low fps, not interesting stuff in shop rly, arena's have no sense to play them at all, pumpkin and helicopter are overpowered, there are only few items, open "borders" rly? and there is much more things i dislike in this curve sims 3 :P it's was waste of time to test it :) and yeah fix bug with arenas joining rooms and many others :) game should work good on release date right? u will just give us BETA 29th :) beta should be idk 2 weeks not 2 hours lel. So cf 3 is gonna be playable(i dont think so) after 5 months? or even one year? hillarious.

best regards

and yeah tell us if u close cf 2 :)

podpli's picture

I finally found the way to test it. I tested it on 2 computers.

Computer number 1: laptop, firefox saying WebGL not supporter by GPU

Computer number 2: desktop computer, CF3 working on Chrome

Personal experience: More childish as CF2 (i don't know your target audience so maybe it's ok), could be problem on different computers and browsers, easier to drive, more jumps, i would give it a chance if it will work on my laptop

Searching for clan Smile

Pa si malo reko

Incred's picture
Champion
ffa eu top 15%
team eu top 21%

Laura19 and volpex,

CF2 will remain open as long as enough people keep playing the game. Of course the standalone is recommended as some browsers are in the process of getting rid of flash. If you don't have standalone, here are the directions to get it on your computer: http://curvefever.com/content/having-fps-issues-or-keylag

Roojos's picture
Developer
Clan: DEV

I'm sorry to hear that you're unable to play CF2 without lag.

Unfortainly we can't really do much about it.
There are always things that can be optimized a bit obviously but the major performance issue is not in our hands.

The game runs in WebGL which means the game also utilizes the GPU (graphic card) instead of only your CPU like CF2.
In December we might be able to use WebAssembly which will speed things up a lot.
Till then all we can do is make minor optimizations left and right to improve the game but it's not gonna make a massive difference.

As Incred said CF2 will keep on running as long as there is demand.
If browsers drop Flash you can still use Flash projector to keep playing CF2.
It might be an option to publish a 'standalone' version of CF2 as well but I don't know the specifics about this.
But as everyone has noticed we're not working on CF2 anymore so we'll only push new features to CF3.

Champion

Roojos wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that you're unable to play CF2 without lag.

Unfortainly we can't really do much about it.
There are always things that can be optimized a bit obviously but the major performance issue is not in our hands.

The game runs in WebGL which means the game also utilizes the GPU (graphic card) instead of only your CPU like CF2.
In December we might be able to use WebAssembly which will speed things up a lot.
Till then all we can do is make minor optimizations left and right to improve the game but it's not gonna make a massive difference.

As Incred said CF2 will keep on running as long as there is demand.
If browsers drop Flash you can still use Flash projector to keep playing CF2.
It might be an option to publish a 'standalone' version of CF2 as well but I don't know the specifics about this.
But as everyone has noticed we're not working on CF2 anymore so we'll only push new features to CF3.

I have as a GPU the ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Strix  - basically the best GPU you can have at the moment - and as a CPU the Intel Core i7 6700k... and I had horrible lags on Curve Fever 3. It was the literally the opposite of smooth. So either you are kidding us or something is really wrong about the optimization of this game. If my PC can't play this game smooth... just wow. Some really bad coding over there, bro.

Champion

*It was literally the opposite of smooth

Roojos's picture
Developer

Woah... that's very interesting.
Which browser are you using?
Can you make sure your browser is up to date as well?

You can contact me on Discord so we can do some testing.
Your specs are more than fine so it should run really smooth.
Obviously it's not just specs but it also depends on a lot of other factors.

My PC at work is not that great it has internal graphics and an Intel I3 or something (don't know the exact specs) but it runs smoothly at 60FPS.
Only the room UI has a little less FPS but there are quite a lot of UI elements in that screen and UI stuff is quite heavy to run on WebGL.

We also have a 4 year old laptop which we use as benchmark.
It runs with 40-50 FPS steady in the game with 8 players.
That laptop has a HD Graphics 3000 card which is quite shitty.

Champion

I will contact you on Discord.

I was using the newest version of Chrome and my Windows 10 is optimized to run at best performance. I had nothing else open than Chrome. I had fps lags and whenever I took an item I got a micro fps lag.

Champion
team eu nr. 41

I'm not tryna start some flame war but cf3 really does blow. You've made several topics about curvefever 3 and you've gotten response from literally all the veterans playing this game yet you haven't used any of the feedback that you have gotten. If only you guys spent half the money/time into fixing cf2 i'm sure you would be better off. I guess you'll have to learn it the hard way and see half the community move on before you notice you fked up big time.

Best regards ~ Mod Champion Koso

Champion
team eu nr. 37
Clan: NO2
Im_Koso wrote:

I'm not tryna start some flame war but cf3 really does blow. You've made several topics about curvefever 3 and you've gotten response from literally all the veterans playing this game yet you haven't used any of the feedback that you have gotten. If only you guys spent half the money/time into fixing cf2 i'm sure you would be better off. I guess you'll have to learn it the hard way and see half the community move on before you notice you fked up big time.

You think Geert is gana take a picture of us with our little crowns and hang us up on his wall if we leave? The majority of CF income comes from all the little Basic FFA noobs you see everywhere, that watch ads every time they play and they based the game around them. CF3 is a fresh start for them with better opportunities for them to make money off of little kids in the shop. Life ain't all blueberries and paper airplanes nomsayin.

Champion
team eu nr. 41

Nitrogen Dioxide wrote:
Im_Koso wrote:

You think Geert is gana take a picture of us with our little crowns and hang us up on his wall if we leave? The majority of CF income comes from all the little Basic FFA noobs you see everywhere, that watch ads every time they play and they based the game around them. CF3 is a fresh start for them with better opportunities for them to make money off of little kids in the shop. Life ain't all blueberries and paper airplanes nomsayin.

Lets be real tho the changes they made could have been done on cf2 too such as arena update and whatever else is new. Mark my words if cf3 stays the same way as the beta was they'll go downhill with their income. Why would anyone give a sht about some snake with a dragon when they don't even have DDoS protection on these forums/servers to begin with. Ive said it before and i'll say it again. There's no game without its core players. You can make this game for noobs all you want but at the end of the day they'll play a few games a week if that. I highly doubt these updates will make the new players want to stay considering how many other better games there is. They'll notice this when it's already too late.

Im_Koso wrote:

Why would anyone give a sht about some snake with a dragon when they don't even have DDoS protection on these forums/servers to begin with.

YES YES KOSO ILY KEEP PREACHING

#JUSTICEFORHARAMBE

FFA 1726
Team 1570
1v1 1200

R4W1L's picture
Champion
ffa eu nr. 38
1v1 eu top 7%
team eu nr. 9
Clan: anal

kk mb team, now a srs reply

@Im_Koso When you are already quoting him and directly replying to Nitrogen, why can't you at least read his post and try to understand it.
Like Nitrogen already correctly said

The majority of CF income comes from all the little Basic FFA noobs you see everywhere, that watch ads every time they play...

And since flash won't be supported by a lot browsers as of december anymore, that majority of CF's income will fall away. This will make CF2 not profitable anymore.

CF3 will take some months to evole and become enjoyable. But it's here now. 

Deal with it.

same here zelda i have also a beast pc and lags, my friend was pro i wasnt D:

FluffySharky's picture

Well... i have kinda bad computer :P but i still play cf2 and cf3 without lags on google chrome :)

Fluffy  (single) :*

Roojos's picture
Developer

Same goes for you, please contact me on Discord so we can do some testing.
I'd like to figure out why it doesn't run smooth for some of you even though you have good specs.

Some things you could check already:

• Are your drivers up to date? Especially your GPU driver.
  • Do you have the latest version of your browser?
  • Do you have a lot of plugins/extensions on your browser that may slow it down? (try disabling them next time)
  • If you haven't tested with FireFox try test it with FireFox next time.

Also, please define lag.
Try to be a bit more specific about what aspects of the game caused lag and such.

ffa eu top 15%
1v1 eu top 17%
team eu top 14%

I guess we have to realize that nomatter what we "core player" are either saying or suggesting, won't change the fact that this is all a business for Geert and the devs. They definetly want to make this their livelihood instead of a hobby, which means they gotta chop off those who aren't going to make them the huge income they desire. As in us "core players". Since CF2 won't get the support from the makers anymore, it'll go downhill by time and probably vanish. I'm sure they would want us to join their new fundamental changes of the game, but in reality it will never be what made us hooked into the game in the first place. In my opinion CF3 is a long shot, probably because I can't see how people would enjoy playing it daily, but it might have a chance as a one time thingy for kids to play when they're bored. That means their profit will mostly be based on adds, which won't be that bad if many kiddos will be introduced to the game. 

All in all CF2 won't make it 

Jeff <3
Hakuna Matata <3

Im_Koso wrote:

Nitrogen Dioxide wrote:
Im_Koso wrote:

Lets be real tho the changes they made could have been done on cf2 too such as arena update and whatever else is new. Mark my words if cf3 stays the same way as the beta was they'll go downhill with their income. Why would anyone give a sht about some snake with a dragon when they don't even have DDoS protection on these forums/servers to begin with. Ive said it before and i'll say it again. There's no game without its core players. You can make this game for noobs all you want but at the end of the day they'll play a few games a week if that. I highly doubt these updates will make the new players want to stay considering how many other better games there is. They'll notice this when it's already too late.

Well said Koso, I would not say I was a core player, but I used to love playing a few games everyday on CF2 and I would spend money getting the 3 months premium. But when I tested the CF3 it put me off from even playing CF2. I mean why would u play the last version of the game that will not be updated anymore and spend money on it, when knowing CF3 is a complete failure.

I do understand it takes a lot of time, effort and money to create a whole new experience, but like I said a few months back, you guys tried way too much from the start and unfortunately it was a big disaster (in my eyes). What is obvious thou, is that you guys should have spend more money on it because whoever coded and developed CF3 is a total newbie. It is meant to be released tomorrow and I bet you guys still do not know about certain issues and bugs because you tested it for 2 hours. My predictions will be that CF2 will die out, like it is already and CF3 will be a complete waste of time and effort. I'm just dissappointed that I spend money and my own time so that the developers can f**k me over by releasing a shittier new game.

I'm out.

where i can play in monday?