You are here

Curve Wall

Before posting make sure you are aquainted with our forum rules.

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
HeLiX WaVe's picture
Offline
Clan: DEV
Curve Wall

Good morning Curve Fever community!

 

I've got something to show that I am really excited about, but first let me introduce myself: 

I'm Martijn Imhoff and I study Industrial Design at the University of Technology in Eindhoven. Since september 2013 I've also been an intern at Curve Fever, where I've been working on a cool project. This video explains it:

 

 

Let me know what you think!

 

Thanks!

- Martijn

Offline

Great idea, but... friends are needed to play :(

HeLiX WaVe's picture
Offline
Clan: DEV

It's indeed great to play with friends, however it's also a fun way to meet new people!

Offline

Nice idea but you guys should work on better control devices ... i cant imagine that you can play smoothly on that wall with more than 3 people.

 

 

Offline

I feel that this project is really creative and fun but I see an automattic problems. First being that too many people are on one board. They will have to litterally hit another persons body to move to another side of the field. If i could make a suggestion it would be to make the field Much bigger. Or to make restrictions on a board to where one has to stay in that restriction. but seems the way people are bumping into eachother just to move is a bit hard and unfun. and again another way that the way you can change the game is make the board is making the points Fingers. What I mean is that The handle is too big and seems quite hard to control. Using your real finger can make real percision and you cant bump into eachothers other "handle" but all of these are just by ideas of how the game can be used more effectively. 

YoRy's picture
Offline

GOOD IDEA, TY !

             @YoryFX
~ fBt 
↔ #FunBoxTEAM.

HeLiX WaVe's picture
Offline
Clan: DEV

Thanks for your replies!

 

Sneaky Snake wrote:

Nice idea but you guys should work on better control devices ... i cant imagine that you can play smoothly on that wall with more than 3 people.

Good point. This is true. I'm currently working an a other feature, however I hope to tackle this issue soon. Currently I'm using infrared cameras to track the controllers. However its already possible to play with six people, actually the limit of players is fixed to the amount of controllers. Now I have six. It works very fluently. 

 

 

1v1er wrote:

I feel that this project is really creative and fun but I see an automattic problems. First being that too many people are on one board. They will have to litterally hit another persons body to move to another side of the field. If i could make a suggestion it would be to make the field Much bigger. Or to make restrictions on a board to where one has to stay in that restriction. but seems the way people are bumping into eachother just to move is a bit hard and unfun. and again another way that the way you can change the game is make the board is making the points Fingers. What I mean is that The handle is too big and seems quite hard to control. Using your real finger can make real percision and you cant bump into eachothers other "handle" but all of these are just by ideas of how the game can be used more effectively. 

I understand your point on the bumping. A couple of months ago, when this was still just an idea, I also thought this was a problem. However through a couple of user test I found that the bumping into eachother was actually really fun. It became a little bit like the floor game 'Twister'. It is ofcourse not a very wanted when you are playing in a competitive setting, however we are aiming for a fun experience and not perse for a competitive.

About the handle: I'm going to work on that soon ;)

 

Thanks again! I'll keep you posted!

If you have any more comments, please post them. I'd love to hear 'em.

 

- Martijn

Offline
ffa eu top 1.4%

what if a player just stops moving ? or moves his "curser" slower than the rest (or faster) - how does that work ?

Racmus's profile on curvefever

Martha's picture
Offline
Clan: SWEK

Genious! I like it :)

1 Love, 1 Clan, Unit

HeLiX WaVe's picture
Offline
Clan: DEV

Racmus wrote:

what if a player just stops moving ? or moves his "curser" slower than the rest (or faster) - how does that work ?

Good question. If a player stops moving then the line will continue moving until is collides with another line. This means that when it reaches the controllball it will go underneath it and will then seek the fastest route to the controllball, which is a simple circle. 

I have thought about adjusting the speed according to the distance between the line and the controller, however I think that this might give some people too much advantage over other people. For example when a tall person is playing vs a small person. However I might try out this feature in the near future. 

 

- Martijn

Daniël's picture
Offline

Nice job Martijn, nice video!

CurveFever Clans Moderator
CurveFever Moderator
Don't you deal with my decisions, please send me a private message.

Offline
Clan: JKPL

Waarom kregen we dit niet te zien op de open dag D:

Dit soort dingen lokt studenten, want iedereen speelt dit op onze school als we 'aan het werk zijn'.

Het is zeker een nice idee, misschien kun je het ook wel releasen voor digiborden, en dat de pennen controllers zijn. Zo open je ook voor een groter publiek :3

PartyBlaze's picture
Offline

Very nicely done, this is really a next step for Curve Fever!

Pjush's picture
Offline
Champion
Clan: HC

This looks so cool! Awesome work :-)

Offline

Why you don't do this as a table?

People might not bump into each other (although it seems to be fun)

I mean.. today you can only find Table football and billiard in pubs/ youth hostels/ youth meeting points etc..
Imagine this "Curve Table" would replace those classic games. That would be neat!

 

but anyways nice idea!

 

 

Mormor's picture
Offline
Clan: TE14

Looks awesome

Hampuz | DJHampuz | CurveRadio.com

Offline

The Intern wrote:

Thanks for your replies!

 

Sneaky Snake wrote:

Nice idea but you guys should work on better control devices ... i cant imagine that you can play smoothly on that wall with more than 3 people.

Good point. This is true. I'm currently working an a other feature, however I hope to tackle this issue soon. Currently I'm using infrared cameras to track the controllers. However its already possible to play with six people, actually the limit of players is fixed to the amount of controllers. Now I have six. It works very fluently. 

 

 

1v1er wrote:

I feel that this project is really creative and fun but I see an automattic problems. First being that too many people are on one board. They will have to litterally hit another persons body to move to another side of the field. If i could make a suggestion it would be to make the field Much bigger. Or to make restrictions on a board to where one has to stay in that restriction. but seems the way people are bumping into eachother just to move is a bit hard and unfun. and again another way that the way you can change the game is make the board is making the points Fingers. What I mean is that The handle is too big and seems quite hard to control. Using your real finger can make real percision and you cant bump into eachothers other "handle" but all of these are just by ideas of how the game can be used more effectively. 

I understand your point on the bumping. A couple of months ago, when this was still just an idea, I also thought this was a problem. However through a couple of user test I found that the bumping into eachother was actually really fun. It became a little bit like the floor game 'Twister'. It is ofcourse not a very wanted when you are playing in a competitive setting, however we are aiming for a fun experience and not perse for a competitive.

About the handle: I'm going to work on that soon ;)

 

Thanks again! I'll keep you posted!

If you have any more comments, please post them. I'd love to hear 'em.

 

- Martijn

Another idea on the controller gameplay, is that instead of moving the blocks on the screen. Each player gets their own game pad where they can see the field and move from the gamepad so everybody isnt locked up on one screen and hard to move. but this is if a person would want to play competitively. 

1Mperios's picture
Offline

Fun experience and Competition go hand in hand, those two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, hence many people join sport teams, clubs, play games which involves ranking etc.. but seriously, this idea looks fun to play once or twice, who's going to call their friends to come play curve wall? I can see potential if you make this connect online with others, there wouldn't be bumping involved and you would always be able to play it since there's always users present online.

xSynchronize's picture
Offline
Clan: R4G3

It's a great idea but not everyone has the luxury or friends to do it. Bumping each other might lead to quarrels, the chance is even bigger if you play it with strangers. 

Play it with just one person and share the space and play against other people would be the best IMO

-Andrea-'s picture
Offline
Clan: S

Amazing, great idea and joob too :)

agree

Pelaaja x's picture
Offline
Clan: FIN

1v1er wrote:

I feel that this project is really creative and fun but I see an automattic problems. First being that too many people are on one board. They will have to litterally hit another persons body to move to another side of the field. If i could make a suggestion it would be to make the field Much bigger. Or to make restrictions on a board to where one has to stay in that restriction. but seems the way people are bumping into eachother just to move is a bit hard and unfun. and again another way that the way you can change the game is make the board is making the points Fingers. What I mean is that The handle is too big and seems quite hard to control. Using your real finger can make real percision and you cant bump into eachothers other "handle" but all of these are just by ideas of how the game can be used more effectively. 

 

Agree. The idea is good, but I think Curve doesn't work with that kind of 'wall' at all since the people's bodies will come on the way. Curve is a computer game and it's gonna be quite difficult to make it work with a smartboard. 

Offline
ffa eu top 3.7%
team eu top 22%
Clan: 69

It is really hard to play on wall 

Offline

Great idea!

The only problem is bumping in to eachother, but I might have a solution for that. I don't know if it's possible, but maybe you can make a screen with the front and the back as touchscreens. In that way u only have to look out for 2 friends instead of 5.

Offline

This is a brilliant way to make people more interested in the game, giving them an insight into it and the complexity that still remains almost simple.

Kind regards,

MarinePhoenix ;-)

Offline
Champion

Could be the substitute to naked twister. 

However if this is serious, then bodyweight and size would be a factor to how good you could potentially play... How is a 130 pound guy gunna shove a 230 pound guy out the way, or even run around him intime to keep his snake alive?

When will this come out? I want to be the best of all my friends so I'll start eating cake now! Thanks for the excuse to eat junk food Martijn and Geert! I eat cos I want to be a pro gamer...!!!

Offline
Champion

Did double post cos of lagssss

TheNewSound's picture
Offline
Clan: Baas

DeclanR wrote:

Could be the substitute to naked twister. 

1vs1 Naked curve wall with Pjush :D xD

__________________________________________________________

"Then you have squared circles" - 6stijn6

Offline
Champion

TheNewSound wrote:

DeclanR wrote:

Could be the substitute to naked twister. 

1vs1 Naked curve wall with Pjush :D xD

Yes, and it wouldn't be speed either.

Super small scaled screen.

TheNewSound's picture
Offline
Clan: Baas

DeclanR wrote:

TheNewSound wrote:

DeclanR wrote:

Could be the substitute to naked twister. 

1vs1 Naked curve wall with Pjush :D xD

Yes, and it wouldn't be speed either.

Super small scaled screen.

+1 xD :D

__________________________________________________________

"Then you have squared circles" - 6stijn6

Pjush's picture
Offline
Champion
Clan: HC

Roooofl

Offline
ffa eu top 3.7%
team eu top 22%
Clan: 69

TheNewSound wrote:

DeclanR wrote:

Could be the substitute to naked twister. 

1vs1 Naked curve wall with Pjush :D xD

Hahahaha yes :D and with Killu too. :D